Monday, December 7, 2009

Twitter behaviour - rate limit message back from Flock

Twitter is pretty well behaved most of the time. Just occasionally it gives the 'Too many Tweets' or perhaps some new functionality seems a bit hit or miss (lists today)

I use 3 or 4 different browsers on my desktop, and play mostly Firefox 3.5 but do dabble in other browsers like Flock.

Here is where twitter comes in....

The install of Flock 2.5.5 is a manual install I did a couple of weeks back and I start it from a terminal like so:
/opt/local/flock255/flock-browser
...and here is todays mystery output:


...which will be too small to read until you click on the image above to enlarge it.

The key message is in the final line and says:
Rate limit exceeded. Clients may not make more than 150 requests per hour.
Now I didn't know that Twitter limited access requests this way, but I suppose the 'denial of service' attacks they suffered in mid 2009 did force their hand a bit.

Anyway if you are using Flock, then you might need to be aware that the cunning sidebar thing Flock does to show you 'following' and 'retweets' might sometimes throw you over Twitters API limit.

This is just my interpretation, and if you know different, then please comment and I'll update this post as appropriate.

Note: In Flock's output (shown in the clickable image in this post) I substituted 12345678 for my Twitter account number for obfuscation.

No comments: