Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Dickens - he does tell a good story - "Great Expectations"

I reproduce a short extract from the end of Chapter 7 of Great Expectations

With that, she pounced upon me, like an eagle on a lamb, and my face was squeezed into wooden bowls in sinks, and my head was put under taps of water-butts, and I was soaped, and kneaded, and towelled, and thumped, and harrowed, and rasped, until I really was quite beside myself.

(I may here remark that I suppose myself to be better acquainted than any living authority, with the ridgy effect of a wedding-ring, passing unsympathetically over the human countenance.)

Chapter 17 and a future solution for the damaged:

Because I am re-reading this novel, I am about a third the way through as I write this, and have no recollection of how it ends.

Around Chapter 17, the main character Pip has been damaged. His brief contact with the residents of Manor House (Satis), have left him dissatisfied with his lot. Furthermore his first experience of boyhood romance, has been with a subject who has been tutored in scorn and damage.

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" [ 2004 ] is an interesting movie and suggests a future solution to 'damaging experiences that the individual cannot get past'. In Pip's case, the availability of such a treatment, and the combination of the two stories would be an interesting mix of fiction.

Summary: He was damaged, he was fixed, the end.

I am not advocating the treatment suggested in the Michel Gondry film, but merely musing on how the story of Great Expectations, will look, if the treatment that Winslet and Carrey undertake, ever did become generally available.

New technological treatments have upsides and downsides, and in the 1990 film "Total Recall", a more sinister application of that technology is used.

I leave you with an extract from the Total Recall page on Wikipedia:
The film [ Total Recall ] explores the question of reality versus delusion, a recurrent topic in Philip K. Dick’s works. The plot calls for the lead character and the audience to question whether the character’s experience is real or being fed directly to his mind.
And now back to my book, to see how Pip gets on with his adult life.

No comments: