Friday, September 2, 2011

Reasons to install KDE packages in a non-Kde desktop

My default desktop is Xfce.

However there are some KDE specific or Gnome specific packages that I use also.

The Gnome ones are few (and easy to remember for me), but I need reminding about the Kde ones, so here goes:

  • k3b
  • cantor-backend-r
  • dragon-player
  • filelight
  • gwenview
  • katomic
  • kcollectd
  • kdenlive
  • kdiff3
  • kmplot
  • kstars
  • ksysguard
  • ktuberling
  • okular
  • rocs
The really important programs, for me, are marked in bold.

( younger family members make use of katomic and ktuberling )



k3b - backup to cdrom and dvd - why that particular program?

For me k3b was the first 'burner' program to get it right. It is not perfect. Some might call the user interface a little clunky.

In short 'It works' and it has never let me down.

But 'blah' program is prettier? Well you can keep your pretty desktop integrated whatever - I'll stick with something that is stable and reliable thanks.


Okular for pdf reading - but I have Adobe?

Adobe reader goes much further than 'reading pdfs'. In short, I find the program exceeds what I want.

Adobe products have a habit of doing things in the background, without being too informative about that to the user. This I do not like.

Okular is a very capable replacement, and warns before opening embedded content.

But I need Adobe reader as I need to compete pdf forms?
Okular supports forms - but it prompts you to ensure your agreement before activating the form fields.

Manually: View -> Show Forms


Rocs for 'Graph Theory':

There is the beginnings of a package for 'Nodes' and 'Edges' in the KDE suite.

By no means complete, 'rocs' is a good start, but needs perhaps to attract a few more developers to progress.

Programming rocs graphs to autogenerate nodes / edges uses a javascript type language, something I may dabble with in the future.

No comments: